Business Trade Names
Opening a New Business Trade Name
All new businesses established in Sussex County must file a Trade Name Certificate with the County Clerk's Office. We require that you check our records before filing, to make sure that no one else has filed for a certificate with the same name you will be requesting. You may conduct a Trade Name search online (click "Fictitious Names" in the right margin and enter your desired trade name in the left margin in the "Last Name" field); or you may come into our office and conduct your search in person.
What you must do (if applying by mail)
- You may download a trade name application, or pick one up in the Clerk’s Office*; AND
- Submit four notarized original copies of the application via mail to Sussex County Clerk’s Office, 83 Spring St., Suite 304, Newton, NJ 07860. Please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to receive your two "true" copies back in the mail. One is for you to present to your bank to open a business account, the other is for your records.
What it will cost
$50.00, payable US Postal money order only; include self-addressed postage paid envelope for return of two copies, one for your records and one to provide your bank upon establishing an account for your business.
*Note: If you come into our office to conduct your search in person, you can complete and print your application onsite. Someone will be available to notarize the application (n/c). The total cost will be $50.00, payable in cash or money order only.
Dissolving a Business Trade Name
All businesses ceasing operation in Sussex County must disslove their Trade Name Certificate with the County Clerk's Office. It helps speed the process if you include the approximate date of registration.
What you must do (if dissolving by mail)
- You may download a trade name dissolution form, or pick one up in the Clerk’s Office*; AND
- Submit three notarized original copies of the application via mail to Sussex County Clerk’s Office, 83 Spring St., Suite 304, Newton, NJ 07860. Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to receive your one "true" copy back in the mail for your records. Note that all persons listed on the original trade name certification must sign the dissolution form.
What it will cost
$25.00, payable by US Postal money order only.
*Note: If you come into our office to dissolve your business in person, you can complete and print your dissolution form onsite. Someone will be available to notarize your form (n/c). The total cost will be $25.00, payable in cash or money order only. All persons listed on the original trade name certification must be present to dissolve the business. In the case where a member has died, a death certificate must be presented.
Adding a New Owner or
Removing an existing Owner
Both adding and/or removing an owner(s) means having to dissolve the original trade name and open a new one. Unfortunately, there is no provision in the law to accommodate amendments to trade names.
In cases where there is a change of business ownership and one [or more] owners need to be added or removed from the business trade name certificate, a dissolution of trade name is needed, and a new trade name with the additional or remaining owner(s) will have to be established. All parties listed on the original trade name must sign the dissolution form before a notary, and all parties to be listed on the new business trade name must sign the new certificate before a notary.
What it will cost
- $25.00 to dissolve the original trade name
- $50.00 to open a new trade name
Registering Corporations, Trademarks and Patents
Incorporation, limited partnerships, fictitious names and non-profit organizations
The County Clerk's Office does not handle incorporations, LLCs, or non-profit organizations (other than Church filings). For information on the former, you may contact:
New Jersey Department of State
State of New Jersey Corporation Division
Trademark and Patents
Contact the NJ Department of State, Trademark section
Business License Information
Contact your local building or zoning official for your town's requirements. For statewide information, contact:
NJ Department of State
Office of Business Ombudsman
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-777-2642 or 800-533-0186
Tax ID Number
To obtain a Tax ID number and for further information contact:
NJ Division of Taxation
22-08 Route 208 South
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
210-791-0500 or 800-323-4400
Small Business Counseling
NJ Development Authority for Small Business
and Minorities and Women Enterprises
200 South Warren Street
Trenton, NJ 08652
Small Business Workshop
425 Raritan Center
Edison, NJ 08818
NJ Chapter of SCORE
Office of Community Services
327 E. Ridgewood Ave.
Paramus, NJ 07652