SPECIAL PUBLIC NOTICE:
In an effort to limit the spread of COVID19, the Sussex County Clerk’s Office is requiring our visiting public to wear a face covering until further notice.
- You may download a trade name application, or pick one up in the Clerk’s Office*;
- Complete the application, but do not sign it;
- Make copies of the completed application, so that you have four copies on which to apply original signatures;
- Then sign* all four copies in front of a notary public. Mail the original signed applications to: Sussex County Clerk’s Office, 83 Spring St., Suite 304, Newton, NJ 07860. Please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to receive your two certificates back in the mail, which will contain recording information. One is for you to submit to your bank to open a business account, the other is for your records. *If there are multiple business owners, each must sign before the notary.
- You may download a trade name dissolution form, or pick one up in the Clerk’s Office*;
- Fill out the form, but do not sign (note that all business owners’ names that appear on the original trade name must appear on the dissolution);
- Make copies of the form, so that you have three originals to sign;
- Sign all three dissolution forms in front of a notary public (Note! If there are multiple business owners on the original trade name certification, they all must sign the dissolution form in order to dissolve the business. In the case where a member has died, a death certificate must be presented.) Submit the three signed documents via mail to Sussex County Clerk’s Office, 83 Spring St., Suite 304, Newton, NJ 07860. Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope to receive your dissolution containing recording information back in the mail for your records.
After opening a Certificate of Trade Name with your County Clerk, you still have a few steps to go to ensure your business is in compliance with State laws. Registering your business with the state is the next step.
ALL new businesses must register with the State of New Jersey for tax and employer purposes. You must file Form NJ-REG to be registered for tax and employer purposes*. Online registration is available at the Division of Revenue’s website: http://www.nj.gov/treasury/revenue/busregcert.shtml or paper forms are also available.
* unincorporated construction contractors performing work in NJ also must apply for a Business Registration Certificate.
Filing Form NJ-REG ensures that your business is registered under the correct tax identification number and that you will receive the proper returns and notices. Normally, you will use your federal identification number (FEIN) as the New Jersey tax identification number. A business with employees must obtain a FEIN. If you do not have a federal identification number for your business, you may apply for one as you fill out the online NJ-REG or you may apply directly to the IRS online. A sole proprietorship or partnership can use the social security number of the owner if there are no employees. Once you have registered, your business will receive forms, returns, instructions, certificates and other information required for on-going compliance with New Jersey State taxes. Many of the filings for the business will be able to be completed online.
The NJ-REG must be filed within 60 days of filing the new business.
Visit http://www.nj.gov/njbusiness/ for more detailed information about starting a business in NJ.
For tax-related questions, call the State’s TAX CENTER HELP LINE at 866.534.7789.
Registering Corporations, Trademarks and Patents
Incorporation, limited partnerships, fictitious names and non-profit organizations
The County Clerk’s Office does not handle incorporations, LLCs, or non-profit organizations (other than Church filings). For information on the former, you may contact:
New Jersey Department of State
State of New Jersey Corporation Division
Trademark and Patents
Contact the NJ Department of State, Trademark section
Business License Information
Contact your local building or zoning official for your town’s requirements. For statewide information, contact:
NJ Department of State
Office of Business Ombudsman
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-777-2642 or 800-533-0186
Tax ID Number
To obtain a Tax ID number and for further information contact:
NJ Division of Taxation
22-08 Route 208 South
Fair Lawn, NJ 07410
Small Business Counseling
NJ Development Authority for Small Business
and Minorities and Women Enterprises
200 South Warren Street
Trenton, NJ 08652
Small Business Workshop
425 Raritan Center
Edison, NJ 08818
NJ Chapter of SCORE
Office of Community Services
327 E. Ridgewood Ave.
Paramus, NJ 07652