Copies of most Vital Records can be obtained from the registrar’s office in the town where the event occurred.

Marriage Records
While the Sussex County Clerk’s Office does maintain in its archives a record of marriages in the county from 1795 through the mid-1850s, current marriage certificates must be obtained from the town in which the ceremony was performed.

Marriage Ceremonies
In order to be married, prospective couples must apply for and receive a valid New Jersey Marriage License from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where the bride or groom resides, or if neither party is a resident of the state, in the municipality in which the proposed marriage or civil union will take place. (See below for a list of Sussex County registrars.)

While the Sussex County Clerk has made a personal decision not to solemnize marriages/civil unions, there are several other options available to a couple wishing to tie the knot. Persons looking for someone to solemnize their marriage or civil union should refer to N.J.S.A. 37:1-13 for guidance as to who is eligible to solemnize their marriage/civil union and what requirements, if any, are needed for those officiants/celebrants.

If you are a person who has been asked to solemnize a marriage or civil union, but you’re not sure if you meet the State’s statutory requirements, you should contact the Secretary of State’s office by calling 609-777-2500, or by visiting

List of Sussex County Municipal Clerks/Registrars